One Pot Greek Chicken & Lemon Rice


What makes this rice so special, you might ask? Well, it’s like cooking the rice in triple strength chicken stock because the chicken is cooked ON TOP of the rice. So it gets the full benefit of all the juices from the chicken seeping into it while it cooks. Add the fresh flavours of lemon and boom! You will knock the socks off anyone you serve this too!


Big promises I know….but I have third party validation of this. Someone who always tells me the truth about my dishes. Especially “inventions” which I often pass on because I know I’ll get truthful feedback. I do love my friends dearly, but honestly, not everything I make them can be “OMG, this is so delicious!!” (Seriously, I love my friends, love them to bits!)

 
To make this Greek Chicken recipe in one pot (well, pan – why do I keep writing “pot”??!), the chicken is seared in the pan first, then the rice is added, the chicken placed back on top then it’s popped in the oven. The magic happens while it’s baking. As the chicken cooks, all the juices seep into the rice which are soaked up by the rice and add incredible flavour. INCREDIBLE flavour. It honestly is like triple strength chicken stock.

And now, if you’ll excuse me, I can’t hold back any longer. I need some lunch!

Ingredients :


Chicken and Marinade :

  • 5chicken thighs, skin on, bone in (about 1 kg / 2 lb)(Note 1)
  • 1 - 2lemons, use the zest + 4 tbsp lemon juice (Note 7)
  • 1tbspdried oregano
  • 4garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2tspsalt
Rice :
  • 1 1/2tbspolive oil, separated
  • 1small onion, finely diced
  • 1 cup / 180glong grain rice (Note 6 for other rice)
  • 1 1/2 cups / 375 mlchicken broth / stock
  • 3/4 cup / 185mlwater
  • 1tbspdried oregano
  • 3/4tspsalt
  • Black pepper
Garnish :
  • Finely chopped parsley or oregano (optional)
  • Fresh lemon zest (highly recommended)

 

Share this

Previous
Next Post »